Thursday, July 12, 2012

Edible Sand

Making the sand in our food processor! Wow it really looks like sand!
  

Edible Sand in the bowl.

                                           The boys eating it.

 Lucas was checking it out couldn't believe it was cookies not REAL sand. giggles.
 I found these little ice cream bowls with spoons at the dollar store for 2 for $1. I searched for small sand pails and real shovels but I could only find small ones for $5 each which I thought was crazy.

 I thought these did the trick and can be used again for ice cream. Unlike the sand pails which we would only use for this. The spoons look shovel like to me.
                               Edward amazed that he could make and eat sand!!

                                                A weird smile.

                                       Yummy he liked it.

                   Lucas spit it out. He thought I gave him REAL sand. giggles.

          I explained we just made these with the cookies. Try it, there is            pudding hidden under the sand. He trusted me and ate some. Yum!

 I love to make COOL things with the kiddos. Below is the recipe if you'd like to make it with yours. Super simple and cheap.

Ingredients

    1 pkg Vanilla Wafers
    2 Oreos
    8 oz Cream Cheese
    1/4 C Butter
    2/3 C powdered sugar
    2 small pkgs French Vanilla pudding mix
    2 3/4 C Milk
    12 oz Cool Whip

Instructions
Add Vanilla Wafers and 2 Oreos to your food processor and crush until they resemble sand.
    In a small bowl, cream together softened 8 oz cream cheese, butter, and powdered sugar.
    In another larger bowl, mix pudding with milk.
    Add Pudding mixture to the cream cheese mixture.
    Fold in all of the Cool Whip.
    Layer into bucket in this order: sand, pudding, sand, pudding, etc.
 Allow to chill in fridge at least one hour before serving.
Jess' suggestions: lightly layer the sand. Its very gritty and sand like. I think if I make it again will do very thin layers of sand and thicker layers of pudding. This time it was very very dry and it could have tasted better just doing a heavy layer of sand on the top only!