
Wow. Another week gone. These themes really make the week seem like a day. We focused on Rainbows and the FL weather has been rainy so I was sorta hoping I'd get a pic of us with a REAL rainbow, but sadly no. So the above pic will have to do.

Books we read this week were:
The Leprechaun Who Lost His Rainbow- Great story about a girl who get to make a rainbow out of her belongings. Also we learn about ROY G BIV which stands for the colors of a rainbow Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, and Violet.
Great way to learn the colors of a rainbow in order. Also in the book I learned that light is actually all these different colors. So light is what makes the rainbow. Who knew? I thought it was clouds reflecting on the dark of sky.
The Rainbow Fish- Boys loved this little series.
Noah's Ark- A pop up Bible book my kids loved it!
I Am A Rainbow- This was very sweet, leave it to Miss Dolly!!
Rainbow Fish Discovers The Deep Sea- This is part of a series and it was really cute.
I had ordered alot of rainbow books from the library, they were all on hold. Sadly I still have not gotten any in. Oh well. Wasn't meant for us.

This is another item I purchased over the summer at Michael's art store. I got it for $9. You'll see more of it later on in this blog.

We also made Rainbow cupcakes. I saw this on the web and wanted to make them. I bought Pillsbury Funfetti cake mix and frosting then at Walgreens got the Extreme Airheads rainbows candy.

I let the boys frost them all. They were just for us so I didn't really care about the overall appearance. So if you are making them for a party or event. Let the parents or adults handle all the frosting if you want them to look perfect. I used to not let the kids do much. Was always worried about spills and messes. I wanted to be a parent with well behaved kids and a clean house. Well that's no fun and I'm sorta ashamed of the old me. Now we make messes and we have fun!! I now buy the plastic table clothes from the $1 store and keep them in my art/craft drawer. Whenever we wanna make messes it comes out. I use the same one until it rips or is uncleanable. They are really worth buying and having in the house.

See they look okay just not prize worthy or anything!!

Next came the irritating part. I cut the airhead stripes in half. Just fold and then use a butter knife. I first tried placing them on the frosting they fell right down. Then I tried pushing them into the cakes... that looked terrible! So I took toothpicks and cut each one in half. Stuck in either side and fastened to the cupcake. I then put the clouds or white frosting over the toothpicks that were showing. So again be careful if making for an event or let the people beware before biting. Beware of toothpicks!!! giggles But don't they look awesome!!

See the back row no toothpicks used. What a mess!!

Lucas loved it!! His evil smile again. Sorry Mom!!

Edward loved them and wanted to eat them up!!

So you can see the inside had rainbow sprinkles. I buy the $1 frosting from the dollar store its always runny.

Next we did that science project on colors that you saw above.

We learned that red and blue make purple. Red and yellow make orange. And yellow and blue make green. If you mix purple, green and orange you get brown!!

Then for some color fun. We took our color tablets that came in our kit and placed on a paper plate and added drops of milk. Oooo, fizzy fun!!

The we took a Q-tip with a drop of dish soap on it and swirled it around. The colors would not mix. It was cool!!

Next we used our test tubes to create colors.

Lucas loved the magnifying glass and loved looking through it!! giggles.

When you hold a test tube of blue and a test tube of yellow close together you get...GREEN!!

See here's a demo.

Blue is behind Yellow. So the colors don't mix you just look through two at once.

Here's orange.

It was red and yellow.

Then we squirted dish soap onto our plate once our colors mixed a bit and look what it did!!

Edward mixed a bunch of colors and then he wanted to add drops of milk. Look how cool it looks!!

Adding Milk to Lucas' test tube.

Then we added dish soap and shook up the tubes to make bubbles!!

Lucas loved his bubbles!!

Then later in the week we did construction paper Rainbows. I stole this again from my lovely cousin Michelle's website http://www.onceuponahomeschool.com/

The boys love gluing and cutting. I made them guess which color came next and sorta made a quiz out of the art project.

Edward did so good. He is truly the bigger brother.

Lucas watching his rainbow grow. They fought on whose would be higher!!

TA...DA!! The finished work!! Take construction paper and cut into stripes. I took a white color stripe thicker cut and made the base. I also stapled it to a popsicle stick for weight. Then have your kids cut each color stripe shorter. Starting with the purple color and then once to red stripe no cutting should be needed.

Again stole from my cousin http://www.onceuponahomeschool.com/ A popsicle stick color game. These are construction paper and popsicle sticks. We did two versions one with flavors and one with colors. Cut the construction paper in a U shape you'll need 2 of each color or 4 of each if doing flavors and colors. Then glue the sides down only leaving the bottom open to put the stick in. Write the flavors or colors on the sticks and let the kids pull the sticks in and out. You can play many matching games with these too fun!! Again thank you Michelle!!

Colors. Now for Edward I wrote the colors in black and for Lucas I wrote out the colors using for example a red marker when writing red. So he can match the colors. For Edward he has to read the colors!!

They love this game. What kid wouldn't?!

Can you guess the boys favorite Popsicle flavor? Rootbeer!!
So to sum up the week:
Home school Theme: Rainbows
Week Number: Four
Crafts we Made: Construction paper rainbows, Rainbow cupcakes
Snack we Ate: Rainbow cupcakes
Chapel Bible Lesson: Noah
Friday Free Day: Pumpkin Patch/Oktoberfest
Games: Popsicle colors
Highs: Reading about rainbows and seeing who much the kids want to learn more.
Lows: Not seeing a real rainbow this week...boo!!