Friday, October 21, 2011

Spiders, Week 5

Okay I'm kinda late posting these. Been busy enjoying Disney's Food and Wine Festival at Epcot and just daily activities so better late then never. This was Spiders week.

Books we read this week were:
Diary of a Spider-Edward loved this book. Its really cute and teaches kids a kids way of life as a spider.
Spider and the Fly-A classic, I remember reading as a kid. Teaches us not to trust anyone.
The Eensy Weensy Spider Freaks Out- Ed and Lucas both enjoyed this book. It was a cute little story or the real story behind the famous song.
Felix Takes the Stage-We didn't really care for this as it was long and was in the easy kids read section at the library, must have been a mistake. I think it was more for a preteen.
Itsy Bitsy Spider-Lucas loved this one shows how to sign language the song.
The Very Busy Spider-From our own library and both of my boys love this book. Flip open flaps what kid wouldn't like plus its Eric Carle, can't go wrong there!

Next we took a MOVIE DAY. We did nothing but cuddle up and snack on foods and watched Charlotte's Web. The most wonderful spider movie I know of. Yes we have a VCR in the kids room and I got this off Ebay for 99 cents. I love those auctions!! Grandma reminded us that the public school kids had 1 extra day off for Columbus Day so I decided to do a movie day. I remember having movie days in public school. Sometimes we'd have a week long movie and the next week was the fun tests, quizzes and essays to write on that movie.

Next, was playing Spider Stompin. This game came from Ebay another 99 cent auction. Sometimes when I find time I'll look up these auctions and bid just for the fun of it. Most of the time I loose but sometimes I win.

So this is like whack a mole. The spider lites up on its back and you have to step on him to get points. The spiders are plastic but really hard so I made the kids wear shoes to play, for safety reasons.

This is Edward stompin away.

Lucas loves spiders and wanted to pick them up I told him they don't move. He kept trying anyways.

Kill that spider, Ed!! giggles.

The kids also enjoyed watching all the lights lite up. The game and spiders talk as well.

Lucas stompin!

So you can see what the lights on the spiders look like. You can make it go fast or slow. I had it on slow for the kids. See the one in the bottom right corner?

Then we did some spider art. These are Edward's hands! No thumbs.

Then I made Edward write the word spider.

See the blue bucket? That was for washing the paint off our hands.

Doing so good. He messed up on the D and I told him just to paint it all.

So proud! Did you know you could make a spider out of your hand prints? I love trying new things using hand prints. Too much fun!!
Of course Lucas made one as well. I helped him write spider and he wanted yellow on yellow his favorite color.

Then we made one of coolest crafts. This is the itsy bitsy spider up the water spout. What you need:
One spool of thread silver or lite color
Scissors
Googly eyes
Pom poms
Pipe cleaners
Tinfoil
Glue
Used Paper Towel roll
Small Styrofoam ball for spiders body(mine were packing kind and I cut one tube in half.)
Paint
Okay I took the thread and using a needle threaded into the front of the Styrofoam ball just enough to hold it in place and then knotted the end. Pulled the rest of the thread inside the paper towel roll out the other end and sewed into the pom pom that is used for a weight. I cut one pipe cleaner in half twice to get 4 little legs and poked them into the ball. Then bent the pipe cleaners to look like spider legs.

Next I had the kids paint the Styrofoam ball or spider body.

Mr. Yellow!!

Edward used every color!

While the spiders were drying. We then took Elmer's glue and glued the tinfoil around the paper towel roll.
Lucas did a Great job gluing.

This is his serious face. He doesn't like to mess up.

Edward gluing his.

Almost done.. so you can see this is the water spout!

Me showing the weight and string through the pipe.

While the glue & paint were drying we did a dot to dot spider activity.

Edward also did a letter code where each letter says a different color.

Edward taking a break at his desk.

The kids were begging for me to get this out and do a snack while we wait. I said why not!

We made spider cookies. See Edward assembling his spider.

The finished product. The kids truly made these on their own. I think they did quite well!!

Edward's cookies. He divided Lucas' plate up between them.

A close up to show they are candy eye balls, chocolate flavored licorice cut into stripes and Oreo cookies and we used peanut butter to hold the eyes on to the cookies.

Back to Itsy bitsy up the water spout. After paint dries glue on googly eyes. Edward's eyes were the coolest!!
Here is Lucas'.
So to demonstrate. You pull on the pom pom and the spider starts to climb the spout.

The more you pull on the pom pom the higher he climbs.

Almost to the top!!

Then as you let go of the pom pom the weight of the spider makes him slide back down the spout!! Too cool I can not get over that I made this and did it right! I don't consider myself creative or artsy at all. This made me proud.

Lucas' school desk and name plate.

Edward's school desk and name plate.

On the following day we did a spider puzzle. We just colored a spider coloring sheet and cut him up and tried to put him back together again.
Edward loves puzzles, what fun!!

Even Lucas had a try! Mr. Yellow!! giggles

So to sum up the week:

Home school Theme: Spider
Week Number: Five
Crafts we Made: Spider spout, puzzle, hand print spider
Snack we Ate: Spider cookies
Chapel Bible Lesson: Jacob
Friday Free Day: Charlotte's Web
Games: Spider Stompin
Highs: Spider Spout craft, lots of laughs and sharing Charlotte's Web with the boys they actually sat through the whole movie.
Lows: Not seeing a real spider