Monday, October 31, 2011

Pirates, Week 6

So this week in home school we did Pirates Week. Above is the kids favorite TV show Jake and the Neverland Pirates.

Books we read this week were:
Grandma and the Pirates-My Mother sent me this book over the summer and we've yet to dive in. She got it because of the title but said the book was terrible. Surprise Surprise my boys loved it! It was sorta dorky and seemed unfinished to me but the kids liked it all that really matters!
Unexpected Treasures- This book was a joy it was nice as it mostly rhymed I love those sorta books. This was a Godly book and was great how it taught so many levels of God's love and promises to us. Great choice if a Christian and doing a Pirate week. My kids enjoyed it too but it also touched my heart and mind!
Captain Flinn and the Pirate Dinosaurs-Love it, my kids have made me read this one over and over again. Really cute great kid friendly story, lots of laughs as well!
A is for ARRR!-I liked this book as it was educational the kids were not so into it.
Shiver Me Letters- Again another educational book except this one my kids loved and made me read it several times and they loved finding the letters with the characters!
Captain Flinn and the Pirate Dinosaurs, Missing Treasure!- Again we join Capt Flinn on yet another adventure. My kids also loved this and remember we just came out of spider week and this book also has a spider in it. Too wonderful. I've notice with doing these themes the kids notice and learn about that subject and it always jumps out at them like never before.
Pirate Pete's Talk Like A Pirate-Another success!! The kids loved this book and it was fun for me to talk like a pirate when I read it to them.
Pirates Drive Buses- Never could finish this book as the boys hated it. It seems funny and cool by the cover and name, right? Well its very pre-teen. Wonder why these type of books keep landing into the Easy reader, Kids' book section?

These are Pirate Boats. Now you can doll these up the way you like but we had a hectic Halloween week and I just let the boys play and eat and dip into caramel.

I love that my boys like healthy snacks!

We love apples!!

Then we played a pirate game my sister sent me that she found at her local Dollar store.

It's basically pin the tail on the donkey but pin the treasure chest on the map! See Edward got real close!!

Lucas loved it and they wanted to play it again and again and again!!

Love the pirate mask!!

A Pirate Coloring sheet and Edward decided to name him Jake as in Jake and the Neverland Pirates.

More handprint art. I just love this and Lucas loves to get his little hands full of paint!!

Lucas' handprint!

We made our handprints into Pirate Ships!!

Lucas writing Pirate.
This is how they turned out. The boys made the paint very watery. Edward's is on the left and Lucas' is on the right.

I was so excited when I found these at Michael's they were only $5. I used to do these when I was little, of course then they were Cabbage Patch Kids. My Mom used to make them into necklaces or bracelets for me. Awesome find and way cool they are still called Shrinky Dinks!!


So 1st you color in the Shrinky Dinks. You can only color on one side and only with colored pencils.

Here they are all colored and ready to shrink. You put them in the oven for 1-3 minutes.

The boys watching them shrink!!

Inside view they kinda curl up a little but then lay back flat again.

See how tiny!! giggles

This is how they look when they are all done very very tiny. They came with little stands so you can play with them. I think the boys enjoyed the magic of them shrinking more then playing with them.
So to sum up the week:

Home school Theme: Pirates
Week Number: Six
Crafts we Made: Pirate hand print ships and Shrinky Dinks
Snack we Ate: Spider cookies
Chapel Bible Lesson: Moses
Friday Free Day: Trick or Treating
Games: Pin the treasure on the map
Highs: Playing the Pirate game, watching the Shrinky Dinks
Lows: Not being able to go see real pirates which I originally wanted to but it would have been $80 for the dinner show, Pirate Adventure. Oh well we had fun doing the Food and Wine Festival and I've learned that you can't always plan things. Sometimes its better to use it as guidelines and wonder off and find more fun that is waiting outside the lines of plans. The kids ate alot of the foods at Disney's festival and Edward wants to do that every time we visit Epcot I told him they only do it once a year! Wish it was an annual thing too but I would soon get bored of it. So I trust Disney.