Next we got out our Floor puzzle and United States workbook and learned about Oklahoma and its location and some facts about the state.
Next we got out our other map to help them put the map together and see where we are on the map.
Had to use the boys' toys to make it more fun for them. We are in FL. Mario represents Grandma and other loved family in Illinois and Pokemon stood where the tornado was. This was very helpful so the boys could understand where the tornado was in reference to us and our loved ones.
In our lesson we learned about tornado alley. It didn't tell us the direct path and I went online to find that Illinois was not included yet when I lived there everyone even my teachers taught me we were in tornado alley. I know it starts in Texas and goes up its suppose to be more to the left according to my online research but the boys liked making a line all the way up and seeing where we were in reference and putting other characters elsewhere. I think they got the just of it. All that matters. I'm just really upset I was educated wrong. Wonder if they still teach that to new students? Oh, bother.
Another view of the boys' tornado alley. They enjoyed this can't you tell?
Then the boys got to color their lesson on Tornadoes. Dover coloring books are found on Amazon.com for around $4 each. We have a few of them I buy 2 of the same lesson so the boys can both have their own book. The lessons are on the bottom that I read to them first, then I make up questions for them to answer to see if they understood the lesson, and then they get to color the pages! Too cool, right?!
Edward looks sad here but he was happy to learn about Tornadoes. On the left of photo this shows the warm air that goes up and the cold air that comes down to make a tornado. On the right a tornado comes and destroys a town. Edward made two projections of where the tornado's path will head next. I think he understood the lesson.
Lucas had the most fun coloring the Tornado he didn't care much about the warm and cold air. He just colored the tornado and then told me his projection of the path the tornado was going to take, he was pretty certain. He told me it comes down and then goes round and round in circles {see on the right of photo} then it jumps to the left of photo then goes to the bottom right and then back up into the sky. Sounds pretty accurate to me. He also understood the lesson.
Lastly, we colored our United States book also a Dover Coloring book and learned all about Oklahoma and then we put together our United States puzzle. Saving Oklahoma for last then we made a Tornado and the boys thought Spongebob should be the Tornado. See Edward having a laugh attack? Then we made the Tornado spin around and knock the other characters down and threw them around the room. The boys were really scared by Tornadoes and this lightened their mood, obviously. When I viewed this photo I must point out Gary the snail is running off the map{look to the middle right of photo to see him}. Made me laugh. After this little presentation the lesson was over and the kids spent the rest of the afternoon playing killer tornado with Spongebob. I mean no harm to people in Oklahoma or to make light of Tornadoes they are real. We know that. I don't want my children shaken with fear of them. They are a strong force. I wanted to not only teach that, but show that you shouldn't be afraid of things you can't control. There is a bigger lesson there.