Wednesday, May 8, 2013

What's For Dinner?

We got this wonderful little chicken from our grocery store and I decided to make it a French style roast chicken. By using my chicken rotisserie spice rub I make I first dried the chicken with a towel and then drizzled oil over it and then my seasoning rubbing it in on both sides. I also took a pat of butter and more seasoning and put that into the cavity. I got this Kitchen Aid grill pan at Target on clearance to use on BBQ grills but have just had it sitting in my pantry. What a perfect time to use it. Sprayed it with Pam first then place the chicken on top.

I bought Stove Top herb stuffing flavor and cut up a Gala apple (the sweet apple) and added the slices to the dry mix then oil and water and placed this in the oven with the chicken for the last 15-20mins of the chicken cooking period.

Now the first step to this French style chicken roast was the veggies. I took a cookie sheet double lined it with tinfoil cause it will catch ALL the chicken's dripping onto it. I took baby carrots out of bag, thinly sliced red potatoes, garlic slices, and onion slices. Try to have all the veggies the same in thickness. Pam sprayed the tinfoil. Did NOT season the veggies at all. Just toss together on the pan and tried to place them in the center where the chicken would be. Since I piled up the veggies it was wise to have them thin sliced. Then when I seasoned the chicken its seasonings fell through the little holes in the grill pan.... see above the holes.

After an hour or so of baking at 350 degrees. This is how the veggies turned out. Some of the taters that are really brown tasted like a wet fresh chip. Oh, my the flavor the chicken fat drippings gave to the veggies was unbelievable! I recommend doing this. I tossed the veggies in the remaining juices while I let the chicken rest before carving it up. The chicken I tin foiled the tops of the legs seen in photo one and once it achieved that perfect color I tin-foiled the entire chicken for the rest of the cooking period. Remember to take a meat thermometer and put it into the thigh of the chicken to see if it was done! Temp should be 165 at least! With my special rub I created. Thank you very much! giggles. It made it the juiciest chicken I have ever made at home. You gotta try this recipe. Gary is begging for me to make it again. The next time chicken goes on sale I will. It cost almost $15 to buy all the ingredients, the chicken, and veggies. Well worth it and the next day I took the left over chicken and shredded it with my hands and placed it into BBQ sauce and reheated and served that with fresh corn on the cob and mash taters. That was great!! There were no yummy veggies left over that's how good they were, even the boys enjoyed them. Below is my rotisserie spice rub recipe. Bon Appetite!

Jess's Chicken Seasoning
4 Tsp SALT
2 Tsp PAPRIKA
1 Tsp ONION SOUP MIX(OK IF SOME OF THE PIECES OF ONION FALL IN TRY TO GET MORE OF THE GREY STUFF)
1 Tsp DRIED THYME
1/2 Tsp CAYENNE PEPPER
1/2 Tsp GROUND BLACK PEPPER
1/2 Tsp GARLIC POWDER

Now I follow this and double or triple and so on if I want to fill my seasoning jar with it. All depends on how big your chicken is or how big your jar is. I advise to do one batch and season chicken and make additional batches if you think you need more. A little of this goes a long way. You can put this on Cornish hens, chicken breast, chicken tenders, or whole chickens. I think it works best on Cornish hens and whole chickens. I wouldn't advise using it on Turkey or anything else cause there is ALOT of salt in this.